Isted, Ambrose, 1797-1881, Album of drawings of horses and hunting, circa 1810
Album of drawings of horses and hunting.
- Great Britain, circa 1810.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) ; 19 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285 .I88 1810+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Ambrose Isted (1797-1881) inherited the estate of Ecton Hall in 1827 upon the death of his father, Samuel (1750-1827). He appears to have been an able horseman, married twice, and left no heirs.
Paper watermarked: J. Whatman 1810.
Inscribed on front pastedown: From Samuel Isted to Ambrose Isted.
Bound in contemporary half red roan and marbled boards; rebacked.
Album of 49 graphite drawings of horses, hunting, dogs, and livestock, by Ambrose Isted. The sketches are in varying states of completeness. All appear to be the work of a young hand, presumably Ambrose Isted; several are signed by him. Most of the drawings depict horses, singly or in groups, at rest or at hunt (with rider). Some of the sketches have pencil annotations identifying individual horses. There are several scenes of fox hunting, with many hounds and riders in pursuit. Other prey include boar, hare, and fowl. Dogs are frequently depicted, with specimens of hounds and English Springer Spaniels, hunting and at play. A couple sketches of cows and goats complete the album.
- Subject Terms:
- Dogs in art.Ecton Hall (Ecton, England)Fox hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Horses in art.Hunt riding -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Isted, Ambrose, 1797-1881 -- Pres. ins. from Samuel Isted.Isted, Ambrose, 1797-1881.Isted, Samuel, 1750-1827 -- Pres. insc. to Ambrose Isted.
- Children's art.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.