Crompton, Henrietta Matilda, 1793-1881, Henrietta Matilda Crompton sketchbook, 1826
- Henrietta Matilda Crompton sketchbook.
- England, 1826.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) : ill. ; 28 x 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 92Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- The Comptons were a wealthy banking family at Esholt Hall, Yorkshire, and upon the death of their father, Henrietta Matilda Crompton (1793-1881) and her eight sibling each inherited the considerable sum of £11,000. Henrietta never married and spent a comfortable life making excursions to the Yorkshire coastal resorts, visiting friends in the country, and occasionally taking longer trips to various "picturesque" parts of Britain and Europe. Typically, for a young woman of her class, Henrietta was educated at home by governesses and private tutors, receiving instruction in reading and writing French, music, dancing, and drawing. She was particularly talented in drawing and continued to take lessons throughout her long life, from renowned artists Copley Fielding and David Cox, among others. A detailed account of her life and works is available in Letters & papers of Henrietta Matilda Crompton & her family, a list with extracts, & The art of Henrietta Matilda Crompton. By Stephen Allen, edited by M.Y. Ashcroft. 1994.
Manuscript album of 56 large graphite sketches of views in Kent by Henrietta Matilda Crompton made during a tour of the county in August and September, 1826. There are 17 views of Tunbridge Wells, 5 of Dover harbor and castle, 17 of Ramsgate, and 6 of Broadstairs, with individual sketches of Rustall Common, Bayham Abbey, Penshurst, Shakespeare's Cliff, Betteshanger Manor, and Rochester Castle. Six of the sketches have a light application of color wash. Many of the views, especially those at Dover, Ramsgate, and Broadstairs, feature harbor scenes and sketches of ships. All are captioned and dated; one is signed H.M.C. The sketches have been made on large sheets of paper (up to 24.5 x 33 cm) mounted into the album.
Two additional sketchbooks by Henrietta Matilda are present in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art: Sketches of Lynmouth, Bath and Clifton (Folio A 2010 22a); North & south Devonshire, 1840 (Folio A 2010 22).
Drawings in graphite, some with gray or color wash.
Bound in half red morocco and marbled boards, with morocco title label.
- Subject Terms:
- Broadstairs (England) -- Pictorial works.Crompton, Henrietta Matilda, 1793-1881.Dover (England) -- Pictorial works.Harbors.Kent (England) -- Pictorial works.Ramsgate (England) -- Pictorial works.Ships.Tunbridge Wells (England) -- Pictorial works.Waterfronts.
- Graphite drawings.
Landscape drawings -- England -- Kent.
Marine drawings -- England -- Kent.
Travel sketches -- England -- Kent.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.