A new pocket sketch book : containing an easy method of drawing landscape, figures, cattle, &c. from nature : the general principles of perspective, accompanied with nine explanatory etchings : the theory and use of colours, in water and oil : with many necessary and practical rules for tinting, varnishing, &c. / by T.R. Guest.
- Salisbury : Printed for the author, by B.C. Collins, 1807.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 38,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC660 .G84 1807+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Publisher's original binding features a front cover with hinged flap that drops down to form a landscape frame through which the artist views his composition. The frame includes a horizontal thread which acts as a sight line.
Etchings by T.R. Guest.
Bicknell, P. Gilpin to Ruskin: drawing masters and their manuals, 1800-1860, 81
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original marbled boards with printed title label on front cover. Inscribed: Sophia Jemima Simcoe, the gift of my mother, 1823. Sophie was the daughter of the diarist and watercolorist Elizabeth Postuma Simcoe (née Gwillim, 1762-1850) and the colonial general John Graves Simcoe of Wolford Lodge (1752-1806). Includes rough graphite sketches on recto of first free endpaper and one sheet inserted at end. With a single botanical specimen, laid in.
- Subject Terms:
- Color -- Technique.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Landscape drawing -- Technique.Painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Painting -- Technique.Perspective -- Technique.Simcoe, Elizabeth, 1762-1850 -- Ownership.Simcoe, Sophia Jemima, 1790-1864 -- Autograph.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Handbooks and manuals.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.