Quartettes, circa 1860?
- Great Britain, circa 1860?
- Physical Description:
- 53 cards (rectos only) ; 92 mm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1300 .Q37 1860 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Set of 53 pen-and-ink and watercolor comic cards, with a decorative title card reading "Quartettes". Consists of depictions of trades people and their families, caricatured with common social and racial stereotypes. A standard set consists of the tradesman head of household, with separate cards for his wife, son, and daughter; in most cases the remainder of the family is depicted in domestic settings. Some of the sets lack all members of the family, while other sets have multiples of several family members, with variations of the same illustration. All of the cards are captioned and are in full pen-and-ink and watercolor. None is signed or dated, and no order is implied.
- Major Lion -- Mr Rinderpest Chalks, the milkman -- Mr Yellow Ochre Daubit, the painter -- Mr Gobble Graymalkin, the ratcatcher -- Squire Ride-away Alworthy -- Doctor Salts and Senna Pillbox -- Herr Von Guterschnapps, the juggler -- Mr Ching Chow Chung, the tea merchant -- Mr Chisel Chips Sawyer, the carpenter -- Massa Pompey Cuff -- Mr Hookit Bluebottle, the policeman.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Satire, English.Wit and humor, Pictorial -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.