An historical tour through Monmouthshire / by William Coxe, A.M. ; illustrated with views by Sir Richard Colt Hoare, Bart.
- Additional Title(s):
Historical tour in Monmouthshire
- London : [Cadell & Davies], 1801.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. (, v, , 31, , 433 [i.e. 435],  p.) ; 56 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2009 5Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- A unique copy, from largely the same setting of type, of a work printed on Royal paper as: An historical tour in Monmouthshire, illustrated with views by Sir R.C. Hoare, Bart., a new map of the county, and other engravings: by William Coxe, A.M. F.R.S. F.A.S., Rector of Bemerton and Stourton. This unique copy was printed solely to allow Hoare to preserve his large original drawings. The letterpress is unchanged from the conventional edition, except: an added larger title page is inserted; half-titles to both volumes are omitted; binder's instructions on the placement of the plates are omitted; a varying limitation statement is printed on the verso of the second title page. The engraved plates are also omitted in this edition.
"This single impression on Imperial paper was printed for the use of Sir Richard Colt Hoare, Bart."--Second title page verso.
Illustrated with 96 drawings in pen-and-ink and sepia wash by Sir Richard Colt Hoare. The published version of this work included 81 views, on 55 plates. The engravings vary from close imitations to loose approximations of Hoare's original artwork.
Paged continuously; p. 433 repeated in numbering.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007).
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full gilt-tooled calf, with gilt edges: Binder's ticket: H. Walther. Armorial bookplate: John Allan Rolls.
- Subject Terms:
- Monmouthshire (Wales) -- Antiquities.Monmouthshire (Wales) -- Description and travel.Monmouthshire (Wales) -- History.Rolls, John Allan -- Bookplate.Walther, H. -- Bookbinder.
- Unique books -- 1801.
Landscape drawings -- 1801.
Travel sketches -- Wales -- Monmouthshire -- 1801.
Ink drawings -- 1801.
Watercolors -- 1801.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Coxe, William, 1747-1828, An historical tour through Monmouthshire , 1801