Ancient mysteries described : especially the English miracle plays, founded on apocryphal New Testatment story, extant among the unpublished manuscripts in the British Museum; including notices of ecclesiastical shows, the festivals of Fools and asses--The English boy bishop--The descent into hell--The lord mayor's show--The guildhall giants--Christmas carols, &c. / by William Hone ; with engravings on copper and wood.
- London : Printed for W. Hone, by J. M'Creery, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- , 298, 2 p.,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR643.M8 H66 1823Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Copper engravings by George Cruikshank, M. Burghers, and Burnet Reading.
Title page printed in red and black.
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 401
Includes index and glossary.
Advertising matter: 2 p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy is a first issue. Plate of the Giants on p. 262 is colored. Includes list of plates. Bound in publisher's olive green cloth.
SML,Y Ib42 i823: Imperfect: 1 plate wanting.
- Subject Terms:
- English drama -- To 1500 -- History and criticism.Fox, W. J. -- Presentation inscripton from W. Hone.Hone, William -- Publisher.Hone, William, 1780-1842 -- Presentation inscription to W.J. Fox.M'Creery, J. -- Printer.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Bookplate, autograph, and stamp.Mysteries and miracle-plays, English -- History and criticism.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.
- Etchings -- 1823.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
Wood engravings -- 1823.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.