Catalogue of Gillray's caricatures, circa 1830
- Catalogue of Gillray's caricatures.
- Great Britain, circa 1830.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (46 p.) ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.G5 C38 1830+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- James Gillray was a leading political caricaturist in late 18th and early 19th century England.
Manuscript catalog, in a single hand in pen and ink, of prints by James Gillray. The compiler of the catalog is unknown, though it may be by a collector. It is organized into three parts. The first, titled "Index to Gillray's works", p. 1-13, contains a title list of Gillray prints, each indexed to the page number where that print is mentioned in Illustrative description of The genuine works of Mr James Gillray, published by Thomas McLean in 1830. The list enumerates about 500 separate titles, 319 of which are marked with a tick, perhaps indicating prints owned by the author of the manuscript. The second part, p. 14-35, contains a chronologically organized catalog of Gillray prints. Print titles are grouped under headings for each year, from 1786 to 1810, and then annotated with the day and month of publication. The third and final part of the catalog, p. 37- 46, contains a partial list of titles and records the names of persons appearing in Gillray caricatures. On the left-hand page print titles are listed in black ink, each corresponding to an entry on the right-hand page (recto of the next leaf), in red ink, naming the individual(s) Gillray has caricatured in each print.
Bound in later black cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Collectors and collecting.Caricatures and cartoons -- England -- Catalogs.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Gillray, James, 1756-1815 -- Catalogs.Political satire, English -- Catalogs.Prints -- Collectors and collecting.
- Catalogs -- 1830.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.