Harley, George, 1791-1871, First principles of landscape drawing , 1829
First principles of landscape drawing / by Geo. Harley.
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, Jun. at his Repository of the Arts and Sporting-Gallery, 191, Regent-Street, Printed by L. W. Harrison, 5, Prince's-street, Leicester-square, 1829.
- Physical Description:
- , 48 leaves of plates : chiefly ill. (part col.) ; 19 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC790 .H373 1829a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With two added engraved title pages. The first is a hand-colored aquatint, placed as a frontispiece (and is the same as the title page of Abbey, Life 139). The second, preceding the first part (on pencilling), is a soft-ground etching, and is dated 1829.
Plates for all three parts have various 1829 dates in imprints.
The three parts of this work (On penciling, Sepia, and Colouring) were probably also issued separately. Cf. Abbey Life 138 and 139. Plates numbered continuously 1-48 between the three parts.
Plates in part one are soft-ground etchings. Part two contains aquatints printed in a sepia tone. Part three contains hand-colored aquatints.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 138
Abbey, J.R. Life, 139
BAC: British Art Center copy Bound in quarter maroon calf and marbled boards. Has bookseller's label: Henry Sotheran Ltd., booksellers, 2 to 5 Sackville St., London, W1.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Drawing -- Technique.Drawing books -- Specimens.Harrison, L. W. -- Printer.Landscape drawing, English.Landscape painting, English.
- Aquatints -- 1829.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1829.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1829.
- pt. 1. On pencilling
- pt. 2. Sepia
- pt. 3. Colouring.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.