Album of animal drawings and lithographs, 1832-1834
- Album of animal drawings and lithographs.
- Great Britain, 1832-1834.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves, with many blanks) : ill. ; 22 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC780 .A45 1832+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Album of seven original drawings, in graphite, pen and ink, and watercolors, along with two lithographs, collected by an unknown compiler. The drawings and lithographs are of varied subjects, though a number feature horses or other animals. No two are by the same artist, and some are unsigned. Three are dated 1832; one, 1834.
Bound in full gilt-tooled and gilt-stamped morocco, with brass clasp (partially lacking); with gilt edges and blue silk endpapers.
- Graphite drawing of two horses frolicking, within an embossed paper frame stamped De La Rue & Co., London. Signed in ink: Mary Barton, 1832 -- Lithograph titled "An Arab's Death". Signed: John Jervis -- Pen and ink sketch of a carriage and four horses, driver, and two passengers. Inscribed on the back: for Kate [illegible] -- Graphite drawing, with white highlights, of a rural cottage, with a wagon, two horses, and two people. Signed: G. Govrini [?] 1834 -- Graphite drawing of a hunting dog (possibly a whippet or pointer), running. Signed in ink: Catherine Staples, 1832 -- Watercolor, over pen and ink, of a woman being committed to an insane asylum (?), in a courtyard of classical or Italian design -- Watercolor, over pen and ink, of a young shepherd sitting on a rock, with a sheep. Signed in ink: Grace Palliser, 1832 -- Graphite drawing, with pen and ink and watercolor, of ice skaters on a frozen lake. Unsigned -- Lithograph of an overturned farmer's wagon, titled "Route du marché". Signed: Ricasoli del. Lith de [Godefroy?] Engelmann.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Pictorial works.Animals in art.Horses -- Pictorial works.Skating -- Pictorial works.
Lithographs -- 1832-1834.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.