Album of animal drawings and lithographs.
- Great Britain, 1832-1834.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves, with many blanks) : ill. ; 22 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC780 .A45 1832+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Bound in full gilt-tooled and gilt-stamped morocco, with brass clasp (partially lacking); with gilt edges and blue silk endpapers.
Album of seven original drawings, in graphite, pen and ink, and watercolors, along with two lithographs, collected by an unknown compiler. The drawings and lithographs are of varied subjects, though a number feature horses or other animals. No two are by the same artist, and some are unsigned. Three are dated 1832; one, 1834.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Pictorial works.Animals in art.Horses -- Pictorial works.Skating -- Pictorial works.
Lithographs -- 1832-1834.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Graphite drawing of two horses frolicking, within an embossed paper frame stamped De La Rue & Co., London. Signed in ink: Mary Barton, 1832
- Lithograph titled "An Arab's Death". Signed: John Jervis
- Pen and ink sketch of a carriage and four horses, driver, and two passengers. Inscribed on the back: for Kate [illegible]
- Graphite drawing, with white highlights, of a rural cottage, with a wagon, two horses, and two people. Signed: G. Govrini [?] 1834
- Graphite drawing of a hunting dog (possibly a whippet or pointer), running. Signed in ink: Catherine Staples, 1832
- Watercolor, over pen and ink, of a woman being committed to an insane asylum (?), in a courtyard of classical or Italian design
- Watercolor, over pen and ink, of a young shepherd sitting on a rock, with a sheep. Signed in ink: Grace Palliser, 1832
- Graphite drawing, with pen and ink and watercolor, of ice skaters on a frozen lake. Unsigned
- Lithograph of an overturned farmer's wagon, titled "Route du marché". Signed: Ricasoli del. Lith de [Godefroy?] Engelmann.
Album of Animal Drawings and Lithographs, 1832-1834. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection.