England and Wales. Sovereign (1660-1685 : Charles II), His Majesties commission concerning the reparation of the cathedrall church of Saint Paul in London, 1663
- His Majesties commission concerning the reparation of the cathedrall church of Saint Paul in London.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Commission for repayre of St. Paul's
- England, 1663.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (, 60 p.) ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA5470.S5 H57 1663+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Manuscript fair copy in pen and brown ink, on paper, of His Majesties commission concerning the reparation of the cathedral church of St. Paul in London, printed by John Bill and Christopher Barker (printers to the King) in 1663 (recorded in Wing C2938). The manuscript is prepared for the printer, by an unidentified scribe, and marked "To be printed" on the first page. There are various typographical instructions and on the verso of the title-page is a note "Let the Kings Arms be set upon this page in a handsome and faire cutt". There are also occasional printer's marks in pencil throughout to indicate the beginning of a new leaf in the printed text.
The Royal Commission was empowered to solicit contributions and to recover any cathedral property lost during the Commonwealth. It was to call to its aid artisans and skilled workman to assist to "search, discover, try and find out the state of the said church and the particular decays thereof"; also, "to consider what parts of said church are fit to be taken down ... and what alterations are fit to be made therein, and to appoint a time when the said work shall be begun". When the commission had completed its survey it was to begin the necessary repairs and supervise their execution. The Great Fire of 1666 ended plans for restoration of St. Paul's, and the entire structure was demolished in the early 1670s to make way for Christopher Wren's new design.
Cover (or page ) title: Commission for repayre of St. Paul's. Ao. 15. o. Caroli 2d Rs [i.e. 1663]
- Subject Terms:
- Church architecture -- England -- London.St. Paul's Cathedral (London, England) -- Conservation and restoration.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.