Mrs. Delany & her circle / edited by Mark Laird and Alicia Weisberg-Roberts.
- Additional Title(s):
Mrs. Delany and her circle
- New Haven : Yale Center for British Art ; 2009.
London : Sir John Soane's Museum in association with Yale University Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 283 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 30 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.D3774 M77 2009 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 263-266) and index.
Publication to accompany an exhibition organised by the Yale Center for British Art in association with Sir John Soane's Museum, London, which will be on view at the Yale Center for British Art, Sept. 24, 2009-Jan 3, 2010 and at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, England, Feb. 18-May 1, 2010.
- Subject Terms:
- Delany, Mrs. (Mary), 1700-1788 -- Friends and associates.Delany, Mrs. (Mary), 1700-1788 -- Knowledge and learning.Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 18th century.
- Directors' foreword / Amy Meyers and Tim Knox
- Introduction / Alicia Weisberg-Roberts and Mark Laird
- 1. Mrs. Delany and the court / Clarissa Campbell-Orr
- 2. Mary Delany's embroidered court dress / Clare Browne
- 3. Dressing for court : sartorial politics and fashion news in the age of Mary Delany / Hannah Greig
- 4. The theory and practice of female accomplishment / Amanda Vickery
- 5. Adorning Aspasia's closet : Mrs. Delany's paintings and drawings / Kim Sloane
- 6. Mary Delany : epistolary utterances, cabinet spaces, and material forms of natural history / Maria Zytaruk
- 7. Seasonality, circulation, and Mrs. Delany's landscape gardening circle / Mark Laird
- 8. "A beautiful mixture of pretty objects" : Mrs. Delany's natural history and zoological activities / Janice Neri
- 9. Novelty in nomenclature : the botanical horizons of Mary Delany / John Edmondson
- 10. A progress in plants : Mrs. Delany's botanical circle / Lisa Ford
- 11. The practice of 'paper mosaick' by Mrs. Delany and her circle / Kohleen Reeder
- 12. An intimate and intricate mosaic : Mary Delany and her use of paper / Peter Bower.