The Harrogate alphabet for 1870, 1870?
- The Harrogate alphabet for 1870.
- England, 1870?
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (13 p.) ; 12 x 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.H32 H37 1870Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Illustrated manuscript alphabet book, in pen and black ink, by an unidentified author/artist, satirizing the Yorkshire spa town of Harrogate. Verses are organized in rhyming couplets, one couplet at the top of each page. Beneath the couplet, each page has two pen and ink illustrations, depicting the subject of each line of verse. The cover title is written in manuscript amidst a montage of two wood engraved illustrations.
Transcription: "A is the air, so sharp, so keen. B, are the bogs, which for ever have been. C, the Chalybeate Springs so renowned. D, are the doctors who pocket the £1. E, is the engine, a horrible sight. F, is our fear lest the horses take fright. G, is the Granby, famed in days long gone by. H, Harlow Carr, which stands up on high. I, the iron water, with harsh bitter taste. J, are the jaundiced, who come here in haste. K, is the Kissengen, a popular spring. L, are the ladies, whose health it will bring. M, the Montpellier, with hot and cold baths. N, the nobility, promenading its paths. O, is the odium, called forth by the smell. P, the Parade, which is quite a Pall Mall. Q, is the Queen, with its dinners and ball. R, are the rules, which regulate all. S, is the sulphur, acknowledged the worst. T, is the taste which revolts at it first. U, is the Union, between the low and high. V are the views which delight every eye. W, is the wind, too high, and too rough. Y, the young lady, who's been blown enough. Finis."
In contemporary green wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Harrogate (England) -- Description and travel.Health resorts -- England -- Harrogate.Hotels -- England -- Harrogate.Mineral waters -- England -- Harrogate.
- Alphabet books.
Wood engravings -- 1870.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.