Irish Conference of Historians (28th : 2007 : Queen's University of Belfast), The British Empire and its contested pasts , 2009
- The British Empire and its contested pasts / editors, Robert J. Blyth and Keith Jeffery.
- Dublin ; Irish Academic Press, 2009.
Portland, OR : Irish Academic Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 286 p. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryDA566.4 .I7 2007 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "Versions of the essays in this volume were all presented at the 28th Irish Conference of Historians, held at Queen's University Belfast between 18 and 20 May 2007"--P. xv.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- On sources and authenticity: British imperial expansion and the writing of Asian histories, c. 1760-1830 / Michael Dodson -- 'What did you do in the war, Professor?' Imperial history and propaganda, 1939-45 / Simon J. Potter -- Exploration, science and cross-cultural intimacy / Dane Kennedy -- Born preachers? New Christians and the Qua Iboe mission, 1887-1920 / Elaine Doyle -- The natural history of society: the Orientalism of William Cooke Taylor / Patrick Maume -- Empire, identity and barbarians: the British and China, 1750-1840 / Ulrike Hillemann -- 'L'enfant terrible of the ICS': C.J. O'Donnell and the British administration of Bengal, 1872-82 / Barry Crosbie -- 'The land of gold and silver': Indian students and their perceptions of Britain, 1907-39 / Sumita Mukherjee -- Enoch Powell against empire: the 'New Commonwealth', the Kenyan Asian crisis and the burdens of the past / Milla Schofield -- 'The most outrageous set of people that ever lived': desertion, identity and Irish seamen of the Royal Navy in North America, 1745-1815 / Martin Hubley -- 'The white god of the Hindus': John Nicholson as a British and Irish imperial hero / Michael Silvestri -- French Canadians and the Irish question, 1900-21 / Simon Jolivet -- Patrick Pearse and Ireland's position in the empire / Joost Augusteijn -- Piet on peat: the Irish romance of Afrikaner anti-imperialism / Bill Nasson.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- History -- Congresses.Great Britain -- History -- Congresses.Imperialism -- History -- Congresses.