This work, comprising a series of the most interesting views of old halls, buildings &c. in Manchester and the neighbourhood : is by permission most respectfully dedicated to Sir Oswald Mosley Bart. Lord of the Manor of Manchester / by his obliged and obedient servant H.G. James.
- Additional Title(s):
Views of old halls, buildings &c. in Manchester and the neighbourhood
Views in lithography of old halls &c. in Manchester and the vicinity
- [Manchester] : Printed and published at the Lithographic Press 9 Ridge Field, Manchester, 
- Physical Description:
- 6 pt. : chiefly ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.M4 J36 1821+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Wrappers to parts have title: Views in lithography of old halls &c. in Manchester and the vicinity by H. James Junr. drawing master. Printed at H.F. James's lithographic press, Ridgefield, Manchester, April MDCCCXXI. Parts 4-6 bear a different cover graphic and are undated.
Lithographs drawn by H.G. James.
Imprint on plates: Printed at H.F.James' Lithographic Press.
"Originally published in six parts in 1821, each part containing six plates. No difference is discernible in the plates, but copies bound from the parts can be recognized by the title-page being undated. It was published as a volumed with thirty uncoloured plates on 20 May 1825, and with a list of subscribers. It was a success and was then published with thirty-six hand-coloured plates"--Cf. Abbey. The present edition has an undated title page.
Plates numbered 1-26. Plates - unnumbered.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 268
BAC: British Art Center bound in half green morocco with marbled boards. Printed wrappers from the original six parts bound in at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Buildings -- England -- Manchester -- Pictorial works.H.F. James' Lithographic Press -- Publisher.Manchester (England) -- Pictorial works.Walker, John -- Bookplate.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James, H. G. (Henry Gould), -1842, This work, comprising a series of the most interesting views of old halls, buildings &c. in Manchester and the neighbourhood , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.