Picturesque views of the architectural antiquities of Northumberland / from original pictures painted expressly for the work by W.D. and T.M. Richardson.
- Newcastle : Published by T.M. Richardson, 7, Higham-Place, and William Dixon, London, and to be had of the principal book and printsellers in the United Kingdom, 1820.
- Physical Description:
- 4 pt. : chiefly ill. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.N8 D59 1820+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title from printed wrappers: Picturesque views of the architectural antiquities of Northumberland, from original pictures painted expressly for the work by William Dixon and Thomas M. Richardson, under the patronage of, and dedicated, with permission, to her Grace the Duchess of Northumberland ...
Aquatint engravings by Daniel Havell and Thomas Sutherland; after T.M. Richardson. Aquatints colored by B. Hunter.
Printed by Edw. Walker, Newcastle.
Originally intended to be published in 12 pt.'s. Publication was abandonned after 4 pt.'s were published. Cf. Raine.
Hardie, M. English colored books, p. 144
Raine, J. Memoir of the Rev. John Hodgson, Vicar of Hartburn, v. 1, p. 286
BAC: British Art Center has parts 1 & 2 only. In original buff printed wrappers. Part 2 bound in buff printed paper wrappers of pt. 1. Paper label placed over contents list with "Part 2d" written in ink. "Part 1" printed on front cover crossed out. Part 2 has a printed note tipped in at front: T.M.R. having declined continuing the publication of the "Architectural antiquities of Northumberland," in conjunction with Mr. Dixon, after this part, (part 2nd) he is under the necessity of requesting that subscribers will oblige him by an immediate discharge of their respective accounts. Autograph: James Robinson.
- Subject Terms:
- Abbeys -- England -- Northumberland -- Pictorial works.Architecture -- England -- Northumberland.Castles -- England -- Northumberland -- Pictorial works.Dixon, William -- Publisher.Etching -- Specimens -- 1820.Landscape -- England -- Northumberland -- Pictorial works.Northumberland (England) -- Antiquities.Northumberland (England) -- Pictorial works.Richardson, T.M. -- Publisher.Robinson, James -- Autograph.Walker, Edw. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
- pt. 1. Barbican, or Utter Ward, Alnwick Castle
- East view, ruins of Tynemouth Priory
- Hermitage at Warkworth
- Dunstanborough Castle
- Warkworth Castle Bridge
- pt. 2. Interior of a small chapel at Tynemouth Priory
- Bamborough Castle
- Remains of Dunstanborough Castle
- Ruins of Tynemouth Priory
- Keep of Warkworth Castle.