Material cultures, 1740-1920 , c2009
Material cultures, 1740-1920 : the meanings and pleasures of collecting / edited by John Potvin and Alla Myzelev.
- Farnham, England ; Ashgate, c2009.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 234 p. : ill., plans ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK1110 .M365 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Decorative arts -- Collectors and collecting -- Great Britain.Handicraft -- Collectors and collecting -- Great Britain.
- Introduction: the material of visual cultures / John Potvin and Alla Myzelev
- Porcelain bodies: acquisitiveness, gender, and taste in eighteenth-century England / Stacey Sloboda
- Home crafted objects as culture and comfort / Clive Edwards
- Spatializing the private collection: John Fiott Lee and Hartwell House / Anastasia Filippoupoliti
- 'Everyone to his taste' or 'truth to material': the role of materials in collections of applied art / Nadine Rottau
- Collecting/painting harem/clothing / Joan DelPlato
- 'Chinamania': collecting Old Blue for the House Beautiful, c. 1860-1900 / Anne Anderson
- From specimen to scrap: Japanese textiles in the British Victorian interior, 1875-1900
- Elizabeth Kramer
- Indian crafts and imperial policy: hybridity, purification, and imperial subjectivities / Julie F. Codell
- Collecting peasant Europe: peasant utilitarian objects as museum artifacts / Alla Myzelev
- Collecting intimacy one object at a time: material culture, perception, and the spaces of aesthetic companionship / John Potvin
- Collecting the sublime and the beautiful: from Romanticism to revolution in Celtic Revival jewelry / Joseph McBrinn.