Hornor, Thomas, 1785-1844, Sketches in the grounds of Marshalls, the seat of Rowland Stephenson Esqr, 1824]
Sketches in the grounds of Marshalls, the seat of Rowland Stephenson Esqr.
- [London? : T. Hornor, 1824]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : all ill. ; 16 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.R75 S64 1824Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Lithographed views of Rowland Stephenson's "Marshalls" villa near Romford, Essex.
"To Rowland Stephenson Esqr. ... Adelphi, 1st Jany. 1824. Dear Sir, Having devoted the evenings of this winter to the lithographic process, and have found great pleasure in the applying it to my Sketches of Marshalls, and having prepared a few copies in the hope that to your family and friends they might prove not uninteresting memorials of your delightful house and grounds. To connect them agrreably together I have thrown them into the form of an agreeable summer day's ramble ... T. Hornor."--Second lithographed leaf, a trompe-l'oeil letter.
The artist appears to depict himself in several of the illustrations, one sketching, another showing plans to the children of the family, and a third time in the tailpiece.
Most of the views are set within embossed ornamental mounts on thick tinted card.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original gilt- and blind-tooled black morocco album, titled "Marshalls" on front cover; with gilt edges. One additional leaf, on card stock of a larger size, shelved separately (Suppl.).
- Subject Terms:
- Essex (England) -- Pictorial works.Essex (England) -- Social life and customs.Hornor, Thomas, 1785-1844.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1824.Romford (London, England) -- Pictorial works.Romford (London, England) -- Social life and customs.Stephenson family.Stephenson, Rowland.Suburban homes -- England -- London.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1824.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.