Peters, Harry Twyford, 1881-1948, America on stone;, c1931]
- America on stone; the other printmakers to the American people; a chronicle of American lithography other than that of Currier & Ives, from its beginning, shortly before 1820, to the years when the commercial single-stone hand-colored lithograph disappeared from the American scene. A prologue, being a survey of the field as a whole, followed by the alphabetical list of the artists, lithographers, publishers and craftsmen who built up America on stone in lithographs, being a collector's notes on their lives, times and activities, gathering together as much as possible of their stories from all sources; illustrated with 18 colored and 136 black and white plates, together with numerous other illustrations showing examples of the work of more than 100 different craftsmen from every part of America. [By] Harry T. Peters.
- [Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Doran and company, inc., c1931]
- Physical Description:
- 415,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. (some col.), facsims, ports ; 32 cm.
- Reference LibraryNE2303 .P47 (LC)+ OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN Zc10 +931pe: No. 318. From the library of Dr. Franz R. Stenzel and Mrs. Kathryn M. Stenzel.
Added t.-p. illustrated in colors.
"This book here first printed in an edition of 751 copies of which 676 are for sale."
"Checklist of books, pamphlets, and articles": p. 413-415.
- Subject Terms:
- Lithographers -- United States.Lithography -- United States.Stenzel, Franz -- Ownership.Stenzel, Kathryn M. (Kathryn Mathison) -- Ownership.