Universal harmony, or, The gentleman & ladie's social companion : consisting of a great variety of the best & most favourite English & Scots songs, cantatas &c. &c. : with a curious design by way of head piece expressive of the sense of each particulr. song : set to music for the voice, violin, hautboy, German & common flute, with a thorough base for the organ, harpsichd., spinet &c. / by the best masters ; the whole calculated to keep people in good spirits, good health, & good humour, to promote social friendship in all compys. and universal harmony in every neighbourhood.
- Additional Title(s):
Gentleman & ladie's social companion
Gentleman and ladie's social companion
- London : Printed for the proprietors & sold by J. Newbery at the Bible & Sun in St. Paul's Church Yard, 1746.
- Physical Description:
- 1 score (129 leaves) : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsM2160.97.E5 U65 1746Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Music (printed)
- For voice and figured bass, with flute accompaniment.
Contains works by Anglosini, T.A. Arne, Barberini, Boyce, Brett, Cannington, Carey, Chilcot, Eaton, T. Farmer, Fisher, Galliard, M. Greene, Handel, W. Hayes, Holcombe, Howard, Kilburne, Lampe, Leveridge, Monro, Oswald, Pescetti, Prelleur, Pryn, H. Purcell, Russell, C. Smith, Stanley, Tortoriti, Travers, Vincent, Weideman, Wise, and unidentified composers.
Engraved throughout, with 96 engraved vignettes spanning the beginning of most pieces.
Engraved title page signed: T. Kitchin sculp.
Engraved frontispiece dated 1745.
RISM (Répertoire international des sources musicales), II, p. 394
British union-catalogue of early music printed before the year 1801, 2:1029
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt stamped calf binding. 1745 pencilled in at bottom of title page.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1746.Newbery, J. -- Publisher.Songs -- Great Britain.Songs with instrumental ensemble -- Scores.Songs, English -- England.Songs, English -- Great Britain.Songs, English -- Scotland.
YCBA Collections Search
Universal harmony, or, The gentleman & ladie's social companion , 1746
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.