The antiquaries museum : illustrating the antient architecture, painting, and sculpture of Great Britain, from the time of the Saxons to the introduction of the Grecian and Roman architecture by Inigo Jones in the reign of King James I. / By Jacob Schnebbelie ...
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Printed by J. Nichols for, and sold by, the author, no. 7 Poland Street; and by G.G.J. and J. Robinson, Pater-Noster-Row, MDCCXCI [1791, i.e. 1800].
- Physical Description:
-  p. in various pagings,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA3310 .S36 1800+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- With an added engraved title page: The antiqvary's mvsevm, by Jacob Schnebbeli, ob. Feby. 21, 1792. Printed by & for John Nichols, Red Lion Passage, Fleet Street, 1800.
Engravings by Jacob Schnebbelie, John Swaine, John Royce, and Basire; after Schnebbelie.
Begun in 1791 and intended to be issued about four times a year, twelve numbers forming a volume. The author lived to complete only 3 nos.; his work was continued by John Nichols and Richard Gough and issued as a volume, with a memoir, in 1800.
ESTC (RLIN) T147631
"Biographical memoir": p.v-viii.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled calf. John Swaine's copy. Swaine annotated the memoir of Schnebbelie with a note on p. viii on the Memoirs of Mr. Schnebbelie: "I was with Mr. Schnebbelie at his death. The child [referred to in the text] was born the same morng. of the Funeral of his Father. [signed] John Swaine engraver".
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- Early works to 1800.Art, Anglo-Saxon -- Great Britain.Art, British -- History.Christian art and symbolism -- Medieval, 500-1500 -- Great Britain.Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.England -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1800.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1800.Nichols, J. -- Printer.Schnebbelie, Jacob, 1760-1792, -- Publisher.
- Engravings (prints) -- England -- 18th century.
Hand-coloring -- England -- 18th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Schnebbelie, Jacob, 1760-1792, The antiquaries museum , MDCCXCI [1791, i.e. 1800]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.