Album of pressed botanical specimens from the county of Suffolk, circa 1830-1831
- Album of pressed botanical specimens from the county of Suffolk.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Suffolk, England, circa 1830-1831.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (6 pages, 86 leaves) ; 33 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 63Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Album of pressed botanical specimens, predominantly from the area near Woolpit, Suffolk, by an unidentified compiler. The quality of the presentation suggests that it may have come from a house of some size, possibly Woolpit Manor. The compiler identifies each specimen with its Latin and common names, along with the location, type of soil, and month of collection. The specimens are fixed in place with near paper spills which are threaded through the page. The collector clearly took great care to harvest complete specimens; most include flowers, leaves, stems, and root system. Most of the album's leaves contain more than one specimen--frequently two, and as many as five. An index at the front of the volume also lists the Latin and common names of each species.
The collection comprises a great variety of species and genus, with flowering and non-flowering specimens both well-represented. The specimens were collected from many locations which are still protected areas for wild flowers, and many specimens were gathered from Woolpit Wood and Heath. Other locations include Northfield Wood, Levston Abbey, Landguard Fort, Aldeburgh, Combs Wood, Badley, Hitcham Great Wood, Hitcham Parsonage, Aldringham, Gipping Park, Blakenham, and West Hanningfield.
Bound in contemporary maroon calf (?), rebacked, and green marbled boards. With gilt tooled leather title label ("Herbarium") on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical specimens -- Collection and preservation -- Great Britain.Botanical specimens -- Great Britain.Botany -- England -- Suffolk.Flowers -- Collection and preservation -- Great Britain.Flowers -- Great Britain.Plants -- England -- Suffolk.Pressed flower pictures.Woolpit (England)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.