IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Drawings of rural scenery and architectural details, mid-19th century?
Drawings of rural scenery and architectural details.
- Great Britain, mid-19th century?
- Physical Description:
- 24 leaves of drawings (in 1 volume) : graphite ; 26 x 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 44Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Graphite drawings of rural scenery and architectural details. The album is inscribed Clarrie A. Horne, Leyburn, Yorkshire, 3-2-02. The paper, however, is watermarked 1830, and the style and subject of the drawings suggest that they were made in the mid-19th century. Horne, thus, is likely a later owner of the album.
All drawings are executed neatly on leaf rectos. The unidentified artist demonstrates fairly skilled handling of built structures and natural forms, with only passing depictions of human subjects. The first three leaves contain small studies of architectural details, such as windows, doorways, arches, and roofs, with 9 to 12 studies per page. In a similar manner, leaves 4 to 7 comprise small studies of trees and other vegetation. Subsequent leaves contain larger drawings, with from one to four scenes per page. Subject matter is consistent, including: rural scenery; older architecture of small villages; churches and fortifications; and gnarled trees.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details -- Pictorial works.Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Pictorial works.Country homes -- England -- Pictorial works.Horne, Clarrie A.Trees -- Pictorial works.Villages -- England -- Pictorial works.Yorkshire (England) -- Pictorial works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.