The horse in motion as shown by instantaneous photography : with a study on animal mechanics founded on anatomy and the revelations of the camera, in which is demonstrated the theory of quadrupedal locomotion / by J. D. B. Stillman ; executed and published under the auspices of Leland Stanford.
- Boston : James R. Osgood and Company, 1882.
- Physical Description:
- 127 p., cvii leaves of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF289 .S75 1882+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The original photographs that served as the basis of the analysis of the paces, were executed by Eadweard James Muybridge. Cf. preface, p. [iii], and appendix, p. -127.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 222
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original brown cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Animal locomotion.Chronophotography.Horses -- Paces, gaits, etc.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1882.
YCBA Collections Search
Stillman, J. D. B. (Jacob Davis Babcock), 1819-1888, The horse in motion as shown by instantaneous photography , 1882
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.