Butterflies of Britain.
- Additional Title(s):
- [London] : [Tracey Bush], 
- Physical Description:
- 4 cut-paper butterflies ; in wooden box 11 x 14 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.B87 B74 2003a FlatYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Each paper moth or butterfly is sewn together from layers of paper using a bookbinder's pamphlet stitch. Each specimen is affixed to the bottom of the wooden box by way of an entomological pin. The paper for the butterflies is cut from envelopes bearing stamps and postmarks from around Great Britain.
The interior of the box includes four small hand-written labels (from top to bottom): Butterflies of Britain; Browns Satyridae; Meadow Brown; Maniola jurtina.
The exterior bottom bears a relief print of a butterfly, printed in brown ink. It is signed, in graphite, by the artist.
BAC: British Art Center copy is a unique copy.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Butterflies in art.Paper work -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.