Nussbaum, Felicity, Rival queens , c2010
Rival queens : actresses, performance, and the eighteenth-century British theater / Felicity Nussbaum.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- 383 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryPN2582.W65 N87 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Actresses -- Great Britain -- Biography.Theater and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Women in the theater -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
- Introduction: at stage's edge
- The economics of celebrity
- "Real, beautiful women": rival queens
- Actresses' memoirs: exceptional virtue
- Actresses and patrons: the theatrical contract
- The actress and performative property: Catherine Clive
- The actress, travesty, and nation: Margaret Woffington
- The actress and material femininity: Frances Abington
- Epilogue: contracted virtue.