IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Nussbaum, Felicity, Rival queens , c2010
Rival queens : actresses, performance, and the eighteenth-century British theater / Felicity Nussbaum.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- 383 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryPN2582.W65 N87 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Actresses -- Great Britain -- Biography.Theater and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Women in the theater -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
- Introduction: at stage's edge
- The economics of celebrity
- "Real, beautiful women": rival queens
- Actresses' memoirs: exceptional virtue
- Actresses and patrons: the theatrical contract
- The actress and performative property: Catherine Clive
- The actress, travesty, and nation: Margaret Woffington
- The actress and material femininity: Frances Abington
- Epilogue: contracted virtue.