Nussbaum, Felicity, Rival queens , c2010
- Rival queens : actresses, performance, and the eighteenth-century British theater / Felicity Nussbaum.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- 383 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryPN2582.W65 N87 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: at stage's edge -- The economics of celebrity -- "Real, beautiful women": rival queens -- Actresses' memoirs: exceptional virtue -- Actresses and patrons: the theatrical contract -- The actress and performative property: Catherine Clive -- The actress, travesty, and nation: Margaret Woffington -- The actress and material femininity: Frances Abington -- Epilogue: contracted virtue.
- Subject Terms:
- Actresses -- Great Britain -- Biography.Theater and society -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Women in the theater -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.