Ruined abbeys and castles of Great Britain / by William and Mary Howitt ; the photographic illustrations by Bedford, Sedgfield, Wilson, Fenton, and others.
- Additional Title(s):
Abbeys and castles of Great Britain
- London : A.W. Bennett, 5, Bishopsgate Without, 1862.
- Physical Description:
- , 228 p. : ill. (mounted photos) ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA660 .H69 1862Yale Center for British Art, Gift of David and Judith RossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN 1990 292: Imperfect: 1st p.l. [half title?] wanting.
BEIN Palmquist Photography 1173: Binder's ticket: Westleys & Co., London. From the library of Peter E. Palmquist.
Spine title: Abbeys and Castles of Great Britain.
Printed by Richard Barrett, Mark Lane.
A "2d series" appeared in 1864 titled: Ruined abbeys and castles of Great Britain and Ireland.
Preface dated 1861.
Illustrations throughout text are mounted photographs.
McLean suggests the design is probably by John Leighton, but is unsigned.
McLean, R. Victorian publishers' book-bindings, p. 104
Gernsheim, H. Incunabula of British photographic literature, 214
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's green cloth with circular photograph onlay front and back; blocked in gold and blind on front and back, in gold only on spine. Bookplate of J.W. North.
- Subject Terms:
- Abbeys -- Great Britain.Barrett, Richard -- PrinterBennett , A. W. -- PublisherCastles -- Great Britain.North, J. W. -- BookplatePalmquist, Peter E. -- Ownership.Ross, David and Judith -- ProvenanceSala, George Augustus, 1828-1895 -- Autograph. (BEIN)
- Binders' tickets (Binding)
- Bolton priory
- Glastonbury abbey
- Iona, or Icolmkill
- Lanthony abbey
- Chepstow castle
- Tintern abbey
- Raglan castle
- Conway and its castle
- Goodrich castle and court
- Fountains abbey --Rollin Chapel and Castle
- Elgin Cathedral
- Holyrood Abbey and Palace
- Melrose abbey
- Carisbrooke castle
- Rievaux abbey
- Furness abbey.