[The 52 countries [sic] of England and Wales [cartographic material] : described in a pack of cards].
- Additional Title(s):
52 counties of England and Wales
Fifty-two countries [sic] of England and Wales
Fifty-two counties of England and Wales
- [Second edition]
- [London : sold by Robert Morden at the Atlas in Cornhill, Will. Berry at the Globe in the Strand, Robert Green in Budge row and George Minikin at the King's Head in S. Martins, 1676]
- Physical Description:
- 52 maps : ill. ; on playing cards 9.5 x 5.5 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5751.F1 M67 1676Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Relief shown pictorially.
A second edition, in which each card showed the names of the adjoining counties, was issued later in the year 1676. A third edition was issued in 1680.
The 13 northern counties are the clubs, the eastern the hearts, the southern the diamonds and the Welsh counties are the spades. Each card is divided into three parts: the upper contains the suitmark (stencilled in by hand), the title of the map and the designation of the card; the center part contains a map of a county and the lower part contains a few measurements of the county, etc.
Each king contains a small portrait of Charles II in a circle, each queen Catherine of Braganza. The knaves are all different. Each showing just the heads of youngish men.
Hargrave, C.P. History of playing cards, p. 175-177
BAC: British Art Center has 4 cards: I. Warwick Sh:. III. Denbigh Sh:. VIII. Lincolne Sh:. Queen: Huntington S. None of the cards have suite designation. Names of adjoining counties are visible. Removed from Francis Sandford's Order and ceremonies used for and at the solemn interment of the most high, mighty and most noble prince George Duke of Albermarle. London, 1670. Catalogued separately.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Administrative and political divisions -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Geographical recreations -- Specimens.Wales -- Administrative and political divisions -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Playing cards.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1676.
YCBA Collections Search
Morden, Robert, approximately 1650-1703, [The 52 countries [sic] of England and Wales
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.