IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Parley, Peter, Tales about Europe, Asia, Africa, and America , 1835
Tales about Europe, Asia, Africa, and America / by Peter Parley ; embellished with 137 engravings.
- London : Printed for Thomas Tegg and Son ..., 1835.
- Physical Description:
- , x, 506 : ill., maps ; 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD23.P37 T35 1835Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Half-title and spine title: Tales about Europe; sectional t.p.'s for Peter Parley's tales about Asia; Peter Parley's tales about Africa; Peter Parley's tales about America.
Probably re-written and edited from S.G. Goodrich's 4 works, Tales of Peter Parley about America, Europe, Africa, and Asia, in 4 vols., published 1827-1830. See Goodrich's Recollections of a lifetime, II, 539-540. Possibly by the publisher Tegg. See Darton. Children's books in England, 3rd ed., p. 222-223.
With wood-engraved illustrations (unsigned) throughout.
Gumuchian & cie. Livres de l'enfance du XVe au XIXe siècle, 4495
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books, 180:801
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 94243
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in olive green morocco backed linen boards. Ms inscriptions: Alfred Dudley Knightley the gift of his affection Papa & Mama, Christmas 1836, to his cousin Mr. J. Smith. To Bicknell Knightley Smith June 2, 1892, from his affectionate Papa. Copy lacks final advertisement leaf.
- Subject Terms:
- Africa -- Description and travel -- Juvenile literature.America -- Description and travel -- Juvenile literature.Asia -- Description and travel -- Juvenile literature.Europe -- Description and travel -- Juvenile literature.Knightley, Alfred Dudley -- Pres. insc. from his Papa & Mama, Christmas, 1836.Knightley, Alfred Dudley -- Pres. insc.to his cousin Mr. J. Smith.Smith, Bicknell Knightley -- Pres. insc. from his Papa.Smith, J. -- Pres. insc. from Alfred Dudley Knightley.Thomas Tegg and Son -- Publisher.World history -- Juvenile literature.
- Juvenile literature -- 1835.
Wood engravings -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.