Ladies' botany, or, A familiar introduction to the study of the natural system of botany / by John Lindley.
- Additional Title(s):
Familiar introduction to the study of the natural system of botany
- 4th ed.
- London : Ridgway, [ca. 1842?]
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. (xvi, 300; viii, 280 p.) : col. ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQK94 .L56 1840Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Watts; after Sarah Anne Drake.
Printed by Norman and Skeen, Maiden Lane, Covent Garden.
Ridgway traded with this imprint ca. 1842-1863. Cf. Brown. London publishers and printers.
BAC: British Art Center copy consists of 2 v. of variant edition. V. 1 is the 4th edition: v. 2 is the 2d edition. Both volumes bound uniformly by W.H. Dalton in diced calf with gilt panelled spines with red morocco labels. Bookplate: William Long, Saxmundham.
- Subject Terms:
- Botany -- Study and teaching.Education -- Women.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1840.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.James Ridgway and Sons -- Publisher.Long, William -- Bookplate.Norman and Skeen -- Printer.Plants -- Classification.Plants -- Identification.Women -- Intellectual life.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Lindley, John, 1799-1865, Ladies' botany, or, A familiar introduction to the study of the natural system of botany , [ca. 1842?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.