Remarks on rifle guns : being the result of fifty years' practice and observation : with specific remarks on fowling pieces, the percussion lock, and fire-arms in general : to which are subjoined descriptions of a new bullet mould and clipper, various improvements in gun and door locks, and spring bolts : a description of fire-arms deposited in the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich, including all the improvements and inventions for which three silver medals have been awarded by the Society of Arts : together with tables of weights of balls, descriptive plates, &c. / by Ezekiel Baker.
- 10th ed.
- London : Printed by Joseph Mallett ..., 1829.
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 251,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. (some col.), tables ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTS533.4.G7 B37 1829Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Half-title: Baker's remarks.
Engravings by Barlow and B. Haseldine.
BAC: British Art Center bound in half roan and marbled boards. Contains profuse manuscript annotations and occasional diagrams, in pen and black ink, by William Hockin. On a front fly leaf, the volume is inscribed (Oct. 25 1834) by William Hockin to his brother Charles Hockin. William asks his brother to "pray observe those [remarks] which are of a precautionary kind in your practise". Charles would be killed in 1840, while serving with the Royal Marines in Syria. The book passed to a third brother, Frederick Hockin, whose autograph and date (1841) are also inscribed at front.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1829.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1829.Firearms -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Hockin, Charles -- Presentation inscription from William Hockin, 1834 Oct. 25.Hockin, Frederick -- Autograph.Hockin, William -- Presentation inscription from Charles Hockin, 1834 Oct. 25.Mallett, Joseph -- Printer.Rifles -- Great Britain -- History.Rifles -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.