Characters of trees / drawn and engraved by J. Laporte.
- London : Published by John P. Thompson, Gt. Newport Street, 
- Physical Description:
- 6 pt. : chiefly ill. ; 43 x 58 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 16Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title and publisher from printed cover label (on part issues).
Issued in 6 parts, with 4 large etchings per part.
Apparently a reissue of the 6-part work originally issued in parts (1795-1798) by Thomas Macklin, titled: Of the character of trees. The plates to parts 1 and 2 have been re-engraved with Thompson's imprint and are dated May 24, 1800. The plates to part 6 retain Macklin's original imprint, dated March 1, 1798.
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks parts 3, 4, and 5. In original blue wrappers, with Thompson's printed title labels.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical illustration -- Early works to 1800.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Thompson, John P. -- Publisher.Trees -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Drawing books.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.