This booke was giuen by legacie from Thomas Braythwait of Ambleside gent. who died in the yeare of our Lord 1607, vnto George Preston of Houlker gent.
- Additional Title(s):
This booke was given by legacie from Thomas Braythwait of Ambleside gent. who died in the yeare of our Lord 1607, unto George Preston of Houlker gent.
- [London : Humphrey Lownes, 1607?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( p.) : ill. ; 33 x 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBS170 1607+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for the host volume: BS170 1607+
- Bookplate, probably commissioned by George Preston, of Holker Hall, for inclusion in his copy of the Geneva-Tomson Bible (London: Robert Barker, 1607; STC 2199). Upon the death of Thomas Braythwait, of Ambleside, the Bible passed to Preston, who is also depicted in a miniature painting of Braythwait on his deathbed, which is inserted in the preliminaries of the same Bible. The Bible, with bookplate and miniature, is now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art.
The bookplate repeats several quotations also found in the Braythwait miniature. The first, in Latin: "Qui nisi quod rectum est faciunt nihil, et sub aperto Pectore nil fictae simplicitastis habent hios amant, his bonus est deus". The second, from Psalm 73, is repeated in Latin, French, and English: "How euer it be, yet God is good to Israel: Yea, to those which are pure in heart".
Letterpress is framed within an elaborate woodcut border with Humphrey Lownes' bear ornament at the head. In the side panels are illustrations of four female figures, three of which are from Day's Booke of Christian Prayers (1578).
STC (Addenda), 3368.5
- Subject Terms:
- Braythwait, Thomas, -1607.Preston, George, of Houlker.
Woodcuts -- England -- London -- 1607.
YCBA Collections Search
This booke was giuen by legacie from Thomas Braythwait of Ambleside gent. who died in the yeare of our Lord 1607, vnto George Preston of Houlker gent, 1607?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.