Mason, George Henry, The punishments of China , 1801 [i.e. 1822?]
- The punishments of China / illustrated by twenty-two engravings with explanations in English and French.
- London : Printed for William Miller, Old Bond-Street, by W. Bulmer and Co., Cleveland-Row, St.-James's, 1801 [i.e. 1822?]
- Physical Description:
-  p., 22 leaves of plates : 22 col. ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHV8519 .M37 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title on added t.p.: Les punitions des chinois : représentés en vingt-deux gravures : avec des explications en anglais et en français.
Published anonymously. Halkett & Laing gives George Henry Mason as author.
Engravings by J. Dadley.
"Printed by Howlett and Brimmer, 10, Frith-Street, Soho."--P. .
A reprint, circa 1822, of the 1801 edition. Howlett and Brimmer traded at this address from 1821 to 1830 (Cf. Brown. London publishers and printers). The paper in the Yale Center for British Art copy is watermarked 1822. British Art copy also has 1 p. of publisher's advertisements at end, from T. M'Lean, dated 1821.
Halkett & Laing, v. 4, p. 460.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped maroon morocco.
- 1. A culprit before a magistrate -- 2. A culprit conveyed to prison -- 3. A culprit conducted to trial -- 4. An offender undergoing the bastinade -- 5. Twisting a man's ears -- 6. Punishment of the swing -- 7. Punishing a boatman -- 8. Punishing an interpreter -- 9. The rack -- 10. Torturing the fingers -- 11. Burning a man's eyes with lime -- 12. A malefactor chained to an iron bar -- 13. Punishment of the wooden collar -- 14. A man fastened to a block of wood -- 15. A malefactor in a cage -- 16. Punishment of a wooden tube -- 17. Hamstringing a malefactor -- 18. Close confinement -- 19. Conducting an offender into banishment -- 20. A malefactor conducted to execution -- 21. The capital punishment of the cord -- 22. The manner of beheading.
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.China -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Crime -- China -- History.Miller, William -- Printer.Murray, J. Jardine -- Bookplate.Punishment -- China -- History.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1822.William Bulmer and Co. -- Publisher.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.