The punishments of China / illustrated by twenty-two engravings : with explanations in English and French.
- London : Printed for William Miller, Old-Bond-Street; by William Bulmer and Co. Cleveland-Row, St. James's, 1804 [i.e. 1820]
- Physical Description:
-  p., 22 leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHV8519 .M37 1820+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsHV8519 .M37 1820+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Added title page: Les punitions des chinois : représentés en vingt-deux gravures : avec des explications en anglais et en français.
Published anonymously. Written by George Henry Mason. Cf. Halkett & Laing.
Engravings by J. Dadley.
Printer's imprint at foot of p. : Printed by W. Wilson ... London.
A late reprint of the 1804 ed., probably issued by Thomas McLean in about 1820. The text, but not the title-pages, has been reset, and printed by Wilson instead of Bulmer. Cf. Abbey, J.R. Travel.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 532
Halkett & Laing, v. 4, p. 460.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-stamped green morocco. With the bookplate and inscription of Sir Harry Niven Lumsden. Copy 2 is bound in gilt-stamped red morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.China -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Crime -- China -- History.Crime and criminals -- China.Lumsden, Harry Niven -- Bookplate.McLean, T. (Thomas) -- Printer.Miller, William -- Printer.Punishment -- China -- History.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1820.William Bulmer and Co. -- Publisher.
- 1. A culprit before a magistrate
- 2. A culprit conveyed to prison
- 3. A culprit conducted to trial
- 4. An offender undergoing the bastinade
- 5. Twisting a man's ears
- 6. Punishment of the swing
- 7. Punishing a boatman
- 8. Punishing an interpreter
- 9. The rack
- 10. Torturing the fingers
- 11. Burning a man's eyes with lime
- 12. A malefactor chained to an iron bar
- 13. Punishment of the wooden collar
- 14. A man fastened to a block of wood
- 15. A malefactor in a cage
- 16. Punishment of a wooden tube
- 17. Hamstringing a malefactor
- 18. Close confinement
- 19. Conducting an offender into banishment
- 20. A malefactor conducted to execution
- 21. The capital punishment of the cord
- 22. The manner of beheading.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.