The gallery of pictures painted by Benjamin West Esqr : historical painter to His Majesty, and president of the Royal Academy / engraved in outline by Henry Moses.
- [London] : Joseph Thomas, 1, Finch Lane, Cornhill, London, 
- Physical Description:
- , 22 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND237.W45 M67 1829+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Jules D. Prown, MAH 1971View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The engravings were first published in 1811. Letterpress descriptions signed R.H. or L.H., with a biographical preface signed G.M.B.
Joseph Thomas was working at this address in 1839. Cf. Brown.
Brown, P.A.H. London publishers and printers, p. 201
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- 19th century -- United States.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1839.Thomas, Joseph -- Publisher.West, Benjamin, 1738-1820.
- Thetis bringing the armour to Achilles
- Christ blessing little children
- The Captive
- The despair of Venus over the dead body of Adonis
- Moses viewing the Promised Land
- Priam petitioning Achilles for the body of Hector
- Alexander's confidence in the integrity of his physician
- Christ conversing with the doctor
- The cave of despaire
- Aaron staying the plague
- The alarm of Nestor at the lightning which precedes Hector
- Pylades and Orestes
- The regret of Caesar, when reading the history of Alexanders' exploits at not having signalized himself
- Venus rising from the sea
- The judgment of Hercules
- Adonis going to the chase.