Bonnor, Thomas, Copper plate perspective itinerary , May 13th 1796-1798 [i.e. 1799]
- Copper plate perspective itinerary / by T. Bonnor, engraver ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Copper-plate perspective itinerary, or, Pocket port-folio
Bonnor's Copper-plate perspective itinerary, or, Pocket port-folio
Ten perspective views, the beauties of Gloucester Cathedral
Ten views of Goodrich Castle
- London : Published as the act directs ... for the proprietor T. Bonnor by I. Carey ... and sold by all print and booksellers in England, Scotland, and Ireland, May 13th 1796-1798 [i.e. 1799]
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 20-21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA660 .B66 1796Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title & imprint from cover of case of no. 1; imprint incorporates date in publisher statement.
Three numbers announced in no. 1; the last (Cheltenham) never published. The two published numbers consist of 10 and 11 copper plate views respectively, accompanied by a booklet of explanation.
First number in green cardboard case, with title label for series mounted on upper side. Within is brown cardboard folder with title label mounted on upper side: No. 1 : price 5 shillings, to be continued quarterly : containing ten perspective views, the beauties of Gloucester Cathedral ... and a ground plan of the cathedral from measurement. Mounted on verso of upper side is Address, a prospectus for the series. The ten plates, of varying sizes, are loose within [they do not match their listing in the label on the folder]. Accompanied by booklet, with title & imprint: Illustration of the engraved subjects which compose the first number of the Copper-plate perspective itinerary, or, Pocket port-folio : consisting of ten views of the interior of Gloucester Cathedral ... / by T. Bonnor, engraver. London : Published for the author and sold by J. Cary ...,  (printed blue wrappers, 20 p. : ill. ; 19 cm.). Title & imprint on p. 1 of cover: Illustration of the engraved subjects of the first number of Bonnor's Copper-plate perspective itinerary, or, Pocket port-folio. London : Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., Shakspeare Press, 1796. Advertisement for nos. 2 & 3 on p. 4 of cover of booklet.
Second number consists of 11 loose plates [10 are 14 x 19 cm.; pl. 11 is 19 x 25 cm. folded to 19 x 13 cm.; pl. 1 dated Dec. 19th 1798, plates 2-10, Dec. 29, 1798; imprint on pl. 11 cropped, but appears to be dated [?] 11th, [1799?]. Accompanied by booklet, with title and imprint: Illustration of all the engraved subjects which compose the second number of the Copper-plate perspective itinerary, or, Pocket port-folio : consisting of ten views of Goodrich Castle, its environs, and Flanesford Priory on the banks of the Wye ... / by T. Bonnor, engraver. London : Published for the author, and sold by J. Cary ...,  (printed pink wrappers, 2, , 46 p. ; 19 cm.). Title and imprint on p. 1 of cover: Goodrich Castle, on the banks of the Wye : Bonnor's Copper-plate itinerary, or, Pocket port-folio : containing ten views of Goodrich Castle, its environs, and Flanesford Priory on the banks of the Wye ... London : Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., Shakspeare-Press, 1798. Advertisements on p. 2-4 of cover. Printed on brown paper is Advertisement to subscribers and the public, numbered  on verso, dated December 1798 and inserted at front of booklet, followed by unnumbered leaf, printed on recto only, labelled Bonnor's Perspective itinerary, and dated Sept. 28th, 1799. Booklet contains subscribers' list (p. -46) and errata, on p. 46.
Engravings by and after Thomas Bonner.
ESTC (RLIN), T205178
ESTC (RLIN), T220705
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center has no. 1 and 2. In original green paper cardboard cases. No. 2 contains 10 plates, stitched. Lacks pl. 11, a folded plate.
- No. 1. Gloucester Cathedral -- No. 2. Goodrich Castle.
- Subject Terms:
- Carey, J. -- Publisher.Castles -- England -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Cathedrals -- England -- Gloucester -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1796-1798.Gloucester Cathedral -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Goodrich Castle (England) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Historic buildings -- England -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.