The Silurian region and adjacent counties of England & Wales geologically illustrated / by Roderick Impey Murchison ; drawn & engraved by J. Gardner.
- [London?] : [s.n.] [1839?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map on 3 sheets ; 100 x 151 cm, sheets 100 x 50 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQE661 .M87 1839a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:19,200] -- (W 5°40ʹ0ʺ--W 1°53ʹ0ʺ/N 53°6ʹ0ʺ--N 51°33ʹ0ʺ).
- Relief shown by shading and spot heights.
"From the Ordnance Survey coloured in the field during the years 1831-8."
Includes inset of "England and Wales coloured according to geological systems," and profiles of "Ideal sections--submarine relations of volcanic rocks to sedimentary deposits" and "Order of the sedimentary deposits."
Perhaps issued with Murchison's The Silurian system (London : John Murray, 1839).
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Sheet measures 98 x 160 cm, folded to 25 x 32 cm. Mounted on linen. Cased alike with Murchison's The Silurian system (London : John Murray, 1839; BACRB QE661 .M87 1839+).
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1839.Geology -- England -- Maps.Geology -- Wales -- Maps.Geology, Stratigraphic -- Silurian -- Maps.
YCBA Collections Search
Murchison, Roderick Impey, Sir, 1792-1871, The Silurian region and adjacent counties of England & Wales geologically illustrated , [1839?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.