The efflorescence of caricature, 1759-1838 , 2010
The efflorescence of caricature, 1759-1838 / Todd Porterfield.
- Surrey, UK, England ; Ashgate, 2010.
Burlington, Vt : Ashgate, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 224 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryNC1345 .E39 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- History -- 18th century.Art and society -- History -- 19th century.Caricature -- History -- 18th century.Caricature -- History -- 19th century.
- 1. Introduction. The efflorescence of caricature / Todd Porterfield
- Caricature on the edge of empire : George Townshend in Quebec / Dominic Hardy
- Early modern Dutch emblems and French visual satire : transfers of models across the eighteenth century / Pierre Wachenheim
- John Bull, liberty and wit : how England became caricature / Reva Wolf
- On bended knee : James Gillray's global view of courtly encounter / Douglas Fordham
- The light of wisdom : magic lanternists as truth-tellers in post-revolutionary France / Helen Weston
- The currency of caricature in revolutionary France / Richard Taws --The public and the limits of persuasion in the age of caricature / Mike Goode
- Signifying shape in pan-European caricature / Richard L. Patten
- James Gillray, caricaturist and modernist artist avant la lettre / Christina Oberstebrink-- Caricature's musée imaginaire / Ségolène Le Men.