The schools of painting in Italy : translated, from the German of Kugler, by a Lady / edited, with notes, by Sir Charles L. Eastlake, P.R.A., F.R.S. ; with upwards of one hundred illlustrations, drawn on wood, by George Scharf, Jun., from the works of the old masters mentioned in this book ; engraved by John Thompson and Samuel Williams.
- Additional Title(s):
Kugler's hand-book of painting
Hand-book of painting
Hand book of painting
Handbuch der Geschichte der Malerei seit Constantin dem Grossen. Band 1. English
- Second edition, thoroughly revised, with much additional material.
- London : John Murray, 1851.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND611 .K78 1851Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- At head of title: Kugler's hand-book of painting.
Translated by Mrs. Margaret Hutton.
Printed by W. Clowes & Sons, Stamford Street.
Illustrustrated with 84 wood engravings. Volume 1 includes one etching, by W.O. Burguess.
Title page printed in black and red.
"General literary materials for the study of Italian painting": v. 1, p. xv-xxii.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped brown morocco prize binding with large gilt emblem and presentation lettering on the upper cover: "Awarded to Gent. Cadet William R. Eden, for proficiency in landscape drawing. R.M. Academy, Dec. 1851."
- Subject Terms:
- Eden, William R. -- Prize award from Royal Military Academy, Dec. 1851.Murray, John -- Publisher.Painting -- History.Painting -- Italy -- History.Painting, Italian -- History.Royal Military Academy -- Prize award to William R. Eden, Dec. 1851.W. Clowes & Sons -- Printer.
- Prize books.
Prize bindings (Binding)
Etchings -- 1851.
Wood engravings -- 1851.
YCBA Collections Search
Kugler, Franz, 1808-1858, The schools of painting in Italy , 1851
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.