Sharpe, Edmund, 1809-1877, The seven periods of English architecture defined and illustrated , 1851
- The seven periods of English architecture defined and illustrated / by Edmund Sharpe ... architect ; twelve steel engravings and woodcuts.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Seven periods of church architecture
- London : George Bell, 186, Fleet Street, 1851.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, , 37, , 2 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA961 .S53 1851Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title: Seven periods of church architecture.
Wood engravings by John Smith Heaviside. Signings of the steel engravings have been effaced.
Printed by Samuel Bentley & Co., Bangor House, Shoe Lane.
Chronological table of the seven periods of English architecture: p.  at end.
List of works on church architecture by E. Sharpe: 2 p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center bound in publisher's (?) blind- and gilt-stamped brown cloth. Bookseller's label: H. Southeran, Coney Street, York.
- Introduction -- Classification -- Compartments -- Saxon Period -- Norman Period -- Transitional Period -- Lancet Period -- Geometrical period -- Curvilinear Period -- Rectilinear Period.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details.Architecture -- England -- History.Architecture, Gothic -- England -- History.Architecture, Romanesque -- England -- History.Bell, George -- Publisher.Church architecture -- England -- History.Samuel Bentley & Co. -- Printer.
- Steel engravings -- 1851.
Wood engravings -- 1851.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.