IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Cowley, John Lodge, 1719-1797, An illustration and mensuration of solid geometry in seven books: , MDCCLXXXVII [i.e. 1787]
An illustration and mensuration of solid geometry in seven books: : containing forty-two moveable copper-plate schemes for forming the various kinds of solids and their sections; by which the doctrine of solids in general, and those in the eleventh, twelfth, and fifteenth books of Euclid are elucidated, and rendered more easy to learners than by any work hitherto published.... / By the late John Lodge Cowley, F.R.S. professor of the mathematics in the Royal Academy at Woolwich.
- The third edition, revised, corrected, and augmented, by William Jones, mathematical instrument maker.
- London : Printed by S. Gosnell, no. 13, Rolles Buildings, Fetter Lane, for the editor, and sold by him, at no. 135, Holborn, and by the following booksellers; T. Payne and Son, Mews Gate; B. White and Son, Fleet Street; C. Dilly, Poultry; J. Robson and W. Clarke, Bond Street, MDCCLXXXVII [i.e. 1787]
- Physical Description:
- 32 XLVII leaves of plates : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQA457 .C69 1787+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- A mathematical curiosity. Plates are cut so that various solids may be formed.
English short title catalogue, T132918
Catalogue of optical, mathematic, and philosophical instruments, made and sold by W. and S. Jones: 14 p. at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full tree calf. Bookplate: Edw. Henry Rushton. Includes publisher's advertisements bound in at end: "A catalogue of optical, mathematical, and philosophical instruments, made and sold by W. and S. Jones ...", 14 p., printed 1804; works of George Adams, available from W. and S. Jones, 2 p., printed 1805.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1787.Geometrical models -- Specimens -- Early works to 1800.Geometry, Solid -- Early works to 1800.Gosnell, S. -- Publisher.Mathematics -- Study and teaching -- Early works to 1800.Rushton, Edw. Henry -- Bookplate.
- Trade catalogs.
- (from t.p.:) Book I. Contains the five regular solids
- II. Shews the inscription and circumscription thereof, as set forth in the fifteenth book of the elements
- III. Exhibits a great variety of irregular solids
- IV. Contains sundry sorts of prisms
- V. Various kinds of pyramids, and frustrums thereof
- VI. Some difficult propositions in the eleventh and twelfth books
- VII. The cone and its several sections.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.