Countryman in London [graphic].
- [Alnwick] : Printed and published by W. Davison, Alnwick, [ca. 1800?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : engraving on wove paper ; plate mark 18 x 21 cm, on sheet 19 x 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN6173 .C68 1800+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Visual Materials
- Anonymous artist and engraver.
Engraving depicts a barker and a country yokel. The barker is pointing to a sign for "Royal Tiger" [i.e. the painting by George Stubbs?] while distributing handbills for Milse's wild beasts. A satire on the bewilderment of a rustic in the metropolis.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- England -- England -- London.Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.Davison, W. -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1800.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Satire, English.
- Satires (Visual works) -- England -- 1800.
Engravings -- England -- Alnwick -- 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.