Blake in our time , c2010
Blake in our time : essays in honour of G.E. Bentley Jr / edited by Karen Mulhallen.
- Toronto ; University of Toronto Press, c2010.
Buffalo, NY : University of Toronto Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 300 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.), facsims., geneal. table, map, port. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryNJ18.B57 B57 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -284) and index.
"Blake in Our Time explores the work of British poet and artist William Blake in the context of the material culture of his era. In the 1960s, University of Toronto scholar G.E. Bentley, Jr almost singlehandedly shifted the focus of Blake criticism from formalism and symbolism to the materiality that contextualizes Blake's work.
Following in the footsteps of Bentley's pioneering scholarship, this collection, richly illustrated, demonstrates that the locus of Blake's work lies in the elements that are historically particular to his place and time. Topics include the impact of the town of Chichester on Blake's imagination, the material processes of Blake's painting, the detection of a Blake forgery, and new biographical materials, using archives and online resources, on Blake's contemporaries, patrons, peers, and friends. Essays on the importance of Blake collections world-wide, on variant printings, and on the heirs of Blake in British painting extend the focus of this remarkable investigation to include chalcography and book history."--pub. desc.
- Subject Terms:
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Collecting Blake / Robert N. Essick
- Two Fake Blakes Revisited; One Dew-Smith Revealed / Joseph Viscomi
- Blake's Painting Materials, Technical Art History, and the Legacy of G.E. Bentley Jr. / Joyce H. Townsend and Bronwyn A. Ormsby
- New Light on the Mathews: Flaxman and Blake's Early Gothicism / David Bindman
- 'a Lady's Book': Blake's Engravings for Hayley's The Triumphs of Temper / Mark Crosby
- More on Blake's (and Bentley's) 'White Collar Maecenas': Thomas Butts, His Wife's Family of Artisans, and the Methodist Withams of St Bartholomew the Great / Mary Lynn Johnson
- 'Went to see Blake - also to Surgeons college': Blake and George Cumberland's Pocketbooks / Angus Whitehead
- George Richmond, Blake's True Heir? / Martin Butlin
- William Blake and Chichester / Morton D. Paley
- William Blake and the Straw Paper Manufactory at Millbank / Keri Davies
- Wlliam Blake in Toronto: The Bentley Collection at Victoria University Library / Robert Brandeis