IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Ballads and broadsides in Britain, 1500-1800 , c2010
Ballads and broadsides in Britain, 1500-1800 / edited by Patricia Fumerton, Anita Guerrini ; with the assistance of Kris McAbee.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Ashgate, c2010.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 357 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryPR976 .B34 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballads, English -- Great Britain -- History and criticism.Broadsides -- Great Britain -- History.Popular culture -- Great Britain -- History.Printing -- Great Britain -- History.Street literature -- Great Britain -- History and criticism.
- Introduction : straws in the wind / Patricia Fumerton and Anita Guerrini
- Remembering by dismembering : databases, archiving, and the recollection of seventeenth-century broadside ballads / Patricia Fumerton
- The art of printing was fatal : print commerce and the idea of oral tradition in long eighteenth-century ballad discourse / Paula McDowell
- Child's ballads and the broadside conundrum / Mary Ellen Brown
- Journalism vs. tradition in the early English ballads of the murdered sweetheart / Thomas Pettit
- Do you take this hog-faced woman to be your wedded wife? / Tassie Gniady
- Advertising monstrosity : broadsides and human exhibition in early eighteenth-century London / Anita Guerrini
- And I my vowe did keepe : oath making, subjectivity, and husband murder in "murderous wife" ballads / Simone Chess
- Tracking the petty traitor across genres / Frances Dolan
- Ballads and the emotional life of crime / Joy Wiltenburg
- The maiden's bloody garland : Thomas Warton and the elite appropriation of popular song / Steve Newman
- Ne sutor ultra crepidam : political cobblers and broadside ballads in late seventeenth-century England / Angela McShane
- William Hogarth's pregnant ballad sellers and the engraver's matrix / Elizabeth Mitchell
- War and the media in border minstrelsy : the ballad of Chevy Chase / Ruth Perry
- Heroines gritty and tender, printed and oral, late-breaking and traditional : revisiting the Anglo-American female warrior / Dianne Dugaw
- Music and Indians in John Gay's Polly / Noelle Chao
- Afterword : ballad futures / by Bruce R. Smith.