Ballads and broadsides in Britain, 1500-1800 , c2010
- Ballads and broadsides in Britain, 1500-1800 / edited by Patricia Fumerton, Anita Guerrini ; with the assistance of Kris McAbee.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Ashgate, c2010.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 357 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryPR976 .B34 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : straws in the wind / Patricia Fumerton and Anita Guerrini -- Remembering by dismembering : databases, archiving, and the recollection of seventeenth-century broadside ballads / Patricia Fumerton -- The art of printing was fatal : print commerce and the idea of oral tradition in long eighteenth-century ballad discourse / Paula McDowell -- Child's ballads and the broadside conundrum / Mary Ellen Brown -- Journalism vs. tradition in the early English ballads of the murdered sweetheart / Thomas Pettit -- Do you take this hog-faced woman to be your wedded wife? / Tassie Gniady -- Advertising monstrosity : broadsides and human exhibition in early eighteenth-century London / Anita Guerrini -- And I my vowe did keepe : oath making, subjectivity, and husband murder in "murderous wife" ballads / Simone Chess -- Tracking the petty traitor across genres / Frances Dolan -- Ballads and the emotional life of crime / Joy Wiltenburg -- The maiden's bloody garland : Thomas Warton and the elite appropriation of popular song / Steve Newman -- Ne sutor ultra crepidam : political cobblers and broadside ballads in late seventeenth-century England / Angela McShane -- William Hogarth's pregnant ballad sellers and the engraver's matrix / Elizabeth Mitchell -- War and the media in border minstrelsy : the ballad of Chevy Chase / Ruth Perry -- Heroines gritty and tender, printed and oral, late-breaking and traditional : revisiting the Anglo-American female warrior / Dianne Dugaw -- Music and Indians in John Gay's Polly / Noelle Chao -- Afterword : ballad futures / by Bruce R. Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Ballads, English -- Great Britain -- History and criticism.Broadsides -- Great Britain -- History.Popular culture -- Great Britain -- History.Printing -- Great Britain -- History.Street literature -- Great Britain -- History and criticism.