Hamling, Tara, Decorating the 'Godly' Household , 2010
- Decorating the 'Godly' Household : religious art in post-reformation Britain / Tara Hamling.
- New Haven : Yale University Press for the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 348 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK2115.5.A77 H36 2010 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 319-336) and index.
- Religious imagery in Britain, c.1400-c.1660 -- Building 'gorgeous' but godly houses -- The spiritualisation of the household -- Decorating the Protestant household -- Images for meditation -- The presence of religious imagery in the godly household -- Conclusion: last judgements.
- Subject Terms:
- Art in interior decoration -- Great Britain.Christian art and symbolism -- Great Britain -- Modern period, 1500-Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Religious life and customs.Home -- Great Britain -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.Protestants -- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 16th century.Protestants -- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 17th century.