The famouse West Indian voyadge made by the Englishe fleete of 23 shippes and barkes [cartographic material] : wherin weare gotten the townes of St . Iago, Sto. Domingo, Cartagena and St. Augustines : the same beinge begon from Plimmouth in the moneth of September 1585 and ended at Portesmouth in Iulie 1586 : the whole course of the saide viadge beinge plainlie described by the pricked line / newlie come forth by Baptista B.
- [London?] : [s.n.], [1589?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 40.5 x 52.5 cm., on sheet 41.8 x 55.6 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 1j no. 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:50,000,000] -- (W 100°0ʹ0ʺ--E 20°0ʹ0ʺ/N 60°0ʹ0ʺ--S 37°0ʹ0ʺ)
- Depicts the route of Sir Francis Drake on his expedition to the West Indies, 1858-1586. In the bottom left corner is John White's illustration of the "Sea Connye" (i.e. triggerfish).
The map's delineations loosely follow those of the manuscript map prepared by Drake for Elisabeth upon his return. The closest extant manuscript copy of this is now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Vera descriptio expeditionis nauticae Francisci Draci Angli, cognitis aurati, 1587).
By Baptista Boazio. The engraver is unidentified.
Probably issued as a separate item. May also have been included as a set with four other maps engraved by Boazio depicting St. Augustine, Santiago, Santo Domingo, and Cartagena. The five maps may have been thus issued with Walter Bigges' A summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drakes West Indian voyage (London : Richard Field, 1589).
Includes bar scale, 300 leagues = 69 mm.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007); "Wilde Americk: Discovery and Exploration of the New World" (Yale Center for British Art, 27 September-30 December, 2001).
Burden, P.D. Mapping of North America, 70
Cumming, W.P. Southeast in early maps (3rd ed.) 10
Hulton, P.H. The American drawings of John White, 1577-1590, 31d
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 3171.6
English short title catalogue, S123366
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Housed with the set of four other maps engraved by Boazio (STC state c).
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Atlantic Ocean -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Balistidae.Bigges, Walter, -1586. Summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drakes West Indian voyage.Drake, Francis, Sir, 1540?-1596.Great Britain -- History, Naval -- Tudors, 1485-1603.West Indies Expedition, 1585-1586 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Maps -- Atlantic Ocean -- 1589.
Maps -- West Indies -- 1589.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1589.
Making History - Antiquaries in Britain 1707-2007 (Yale Center for British Art, 2012-02-02 - 2012-05-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Making History - Antiquaries in Britain 1707-2007 (McMullen Museum of Art, 2011-09-03 - 2011-12-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Paul Mellon's Legacy : A Passion for British Art (Yale Center for British Art, 2007-04-18 - 2007-07-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]