The famouse West Indian voyadge made by the Englishe fleete of 23 shippes and barkes [cartographic material] : wherin weare gotten the townes of St . Iago, Sto. Domingo, Cartagena and St. Augustines : the same beinge begon from Plimmouth in the moneth of September 1585 and ended at Portesmouth in Iulie 1586 : the whole course of the saide viadge beinge plainlie described by the pricked line / newlie come forth by Baptista B.
- Additional Title(s):
- [London?] : [s.n.], [1589?]
- Physical Description:
-  sheets : maps (engravings)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 1jYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Set of five full-sheet maps consisting of: (1) The "voyadge map", caption as above, (2) "Saint Iago", i.e. São Tiago Island (Cape Verde), (3) "Saint Domingo" (Dominican Republic), (4) "Cartagena" (Colombia), and (5) "Saint Augustine". Each has accompanying letterpress text; for states see STC.
Each of the five maps includes an illustration by John White as ornament. These include the trigger fish ("voyadge" map), dolphin (Saint Augustine), iguana (Cartagena), flying-fish (Santiago), and alligator or crocodile (Santo Domingo). Cf. Hulton.
Title from cartouche to the "voyadge map".
Imprint from STC.
The city maps are probably imported from Leiden, where they appeared in Walter's Bigges' Expeditio Francisco Drake Equiti (Leiden : F. Raphelengium, 1588). The four city maps may have been reissued at London, together with the "voyadge map", to accompany the English edition of Bigges' work: A summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drakes West Indian voyage (London : Richard Field, 1589).
The five maps were also re-engraved, at a smaller size (20.5 x 30.0 cm), to accompany various works circa 1589. Cf. Burden and Kraus.
The map of Saint Augustine is the earliest engraving of any city now part of the United States.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007); "Wilde Americk: Discovery and Exploration of the New World" (Yale Center for British Art, 27 September-30 December, 2001).
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 3171.6
English short title catalogue, S123366
Burden, P.D. Mapping of North America, 70
Cumming, W.P. Southeast in early maps (3rd ed.) 10
Kraus, H.P. Sir Francis Drake, 20
Hulton, P.H. The American drawings of John White, 1577-1590, 9e, 10c, 26e, 27e, 31d
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks accompanying letterpress text (STC state c). All maps are hand-colored. The general "voyadge map" and the map of Saint Augustine are also cataloged separately.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Atlantic Ocean -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Bigges, Walter, -1586. Summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drakes West Indian voyage.Cartagena (Colombia) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Drake, Francis, approximately 1540-1596.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens.Great Britain -- History, Naval -- Tudors, 1485-1603.Saint Augustine (Fla.) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.São Tiago Island (Cape Verde) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.West Indies Expedition, 1585-1586 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Maps -- Atlantic Ocean -- 1589.
Maps -- West Indies -- 1589.
Maps -- Saint Augustine (Fla.) -- 1589.
Maps -- São Tiago Island (Cape Verde) -- 1589.
Maps -- Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) -- 1589.
Maps -- Cartagena (Colombia) -- 1589.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Boazio, Baptista, The famouse West Indian voyadge made by the Englishe fleete of 23 shippes and barkes, [1589?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.