S. Augustini pars est terrae Florida [cartographic material] : sub latitudine 30 grad ora vero maritima humilior est, lancinata et insulosa.
- [Leiden?] : [s.n.], [1588?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 40.1 x 54.2 cm., on sheet 41.8 x 56.1cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 1j no. 5Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale not given -- (W 81°18ʹ54ʺ--W 81°164ʹ5ʺ/N 29°55ʹ5ʺ--N 29°53ʹ13ʺ).
- The map illustrates Francis Drake's fleet attacking and burning the Spanish fort and city at Saint Augustine, Florida.
The bottom left corner of the map includes an illustration of a dolphin by John White. Cf. Hulton.
Probably published at Leiden, where it appeared in Walter's Bigges' Expeditio Francisco Drake Equiti (Leiden : F. Raphelengium, 1588), together with three other city maps recording Drake's West Indies expedition. The four city maps may have been reissued at London, together with the "voyadge map", to accompany the English edition of Bigges' work: A summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drakes West Indian voyage (London : Richard Field, 1589).
The earliest engraving of any city or territory now in the United States.
Oriented with north to the right.
Relief shown pictorially.
Includes descriptive text in rectanglar cartouche.
"A separately printed key in English is found pasted below some examples ..."--Burden.
Kraus, H.P. Sir Francis Drake, 49
Burden, P.D. Mapping of North America, 65
Hulton, P.H. The American drawings of John White, 1577-1590, 26e
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand-colored. Housed with the four other Boazio maps in this set.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration -- British -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Bigges, Walter, -1586. Summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drakes West Indian voyage.Dolphins in art.Drake, Francis, approximately 1540-1596.Florida -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- History, Naval -- Tudors, 1485-1603.Saint Augustine (Fla.) -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.West Indies Expedition, 1585-1586 -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Maps -- Saint Augustine (Fla.) -- 1588.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1588.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.