A catalogue of the highly valuable collection of prints : the property of the late Sir Mark Masterman Sykes, Bart ... : part the first consisting of a series of British portraits, from the heptarchy to the end of the reign of William III : comprising a capital assemblage of extremely rare and curious prints : including several unique beautiful equestrian and historical engravings, by Delaram, Elstracke, Rogers, the Pass Family, &c. : the principal works of W. Hollar : a matchless display of the productions of that celebrated artist W. Faithorne, many of them brilliant proofs, &c. &c. &c. : which will be sold by auction, by Mr. Sotheby, at his rooms, No. 3, Wellington Street, Strand, on Monday, 29th of March, 1824, and eleven following days, Sunday excepted, at twelve o'clock.
- [London] : J. Davy, printer, 
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes in 1 : illustrations, portraits ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE59 .S95 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .S68 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-2575
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 10630, 10610, 10670, 10681, 10704, 10770.
Date of sale: March-December, 1824.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center NE59 .S95 1824+ copy is bound in quarter calf with marbled boards. Annotated with prices and names (presumably those of the buyers). Bookplate: Lord Northwick. Has bound with it: Catalog of the extensive, valuable, and highly interesting collection of prints, the property of Thomas Lloyd, Esq ... with will be sold at auction, by Mr. George Jones ... on Friday, the 1st day of July, 1825 ...
BAC: British Art Center N8640 .S68 1824 copy is annotated with sale prices for all lots. Bound in contemporary gilt stamped red morocco with gilt edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Davy, J. -- Printer.Engraving -- Catalogs.Northwick, Lord -- Bookplate.Portraits -- Catalogs.Prints, British -- Catalogs.Prints, European -- Catalogs.Sykes, Mark Masterman, Sir, 1771-1823 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- pt. 1. A series of British portraits
- part 2. A selection of the choicest specimens of Rubens and Vandyck
- part 3. A series of engravings by the most eminent artists of the Italian schools
- part 4. The continuation of a series of British portraits
- part 5. The residue of a series of British portraits.