Marshal, Alexander, Head of an old woman
- Head of an old woman.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Head of an old crone
- circa 1630-1682.
- Physical Description:
- 1 painting : watercolor, pen and ink, on paper ; image 240 x 200 mm., on sheet 280 x 200 mm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 82Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for Lake's copy of Walpole's Anecdotes of painting in England.
View the catalog record for Marshal's St. George and the dragon.
- Drawings & Watercolors
- The amateur artist Alexander Marshal (born ca. 1610 or 1620; died 7 Dec 1682, London) was described in 1650 by Samuel Hartlib as a merchant and florist. He is best known now for his Florilegium, a volume of watercolors of exotic plants, painted circa 1650-1682, now in the Royal Library, Windsor Castle.
Watercolor painting of the head of an old woman, in profile, by Alexander Marshal. The watercolor is affixed to a blank leaf in volume 3 of Sir James Winter Lake's extra-illustrated copy of Horace Walpole's Anecdotes of painting in England (2nd edition. Twickenham : Strawberry Hill Press, 1765-1780; YCBA Folio A N 82). The leaf bearing the watercolor is bound between pages 70 and 71. On the recto of the same leaf is a second original watercolor by Marshal (depicting St. George and the dragon). The other watercolor, and the Anecdotes, are cataloged separately.
The sitter of the present portrait is unidentified. She wears a blue blouse, with a white headscarf and a white neck scarf.
Title from Leith-Ross (Appendix C: List of known works by Marshal): Head of an old crone.
Provenance: Sir James Winter Lake; Sotheby's (1978); Paul Mellon.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007).
Leith-Ross, P. The Florilegium of Alexander Marshal in the collection of Her Majesty the Queen at Windsor Castle, p. 370
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Lake, James Winter, ca. 1745-1807.Marshal, Alexander.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.